Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Finding a Plumber and other Plumbing topics.
If you're doing renovations to your home, the process of selecting a plumber will vary a bit from the process of selecting a plumber to fix a drain clog in your home. When looking for a plumber or plumbing contractor, you will want to do the following:
1. Get recommendations from friends or neighbors of plumbing contractors who have worked on home renovations. That way, you can have the added benefit of working with a plumbing contractor who has had a successful working relationship with someone you know.
2. Verify the state licensing of your plumbing contractor. You'll be able to find out whether the person in question has any complaints filed against him.
3. Find out what the hourly rate of your plumbing contractor is and what you'll be paying for. For instance, will the plumbing contractor charge you for demolition to access a pipe in addition to plumbing work? Will you be charged an hourly rate while your plumber waits on-site for parts?
4. Verify whether your plumbing contractor is bonded and has worker's compensation and insurance.
5. Research at least three different plumbing contractors and obtain estimates. Choose one based not just on the rates, but also what you will be paying for and their level of service and reliability.