Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Clogged Drains and other Plumbing topics.
To keep the plumbing system in your home running smoothly, it's best to avoid clogged drains by adhering to some practical rules. Here are five things you can do to avoid clogged drains:
1. Clean out the strainers and stoppers in your bathtub or sink on a regular basis. Hair and debris caught on a strainer or wound around a stopper can attribute to drainage problems.
2. Pour grease into a can and toss it into your trash rather than pouring it down your sink. Grease poured down pipes will collect and eventually cause clogs in your pipes.
3. Run boiling water down your kitchen sink once a week to rid your pipes of any grease or fat deposits that may be accumulating in your pipes.
4. Don't dump chemicals such as paint thinner or materials like hot wax down your drains.
5. Use a non-corrosive drain cleaner and pour it down your drain every six months to avoid drainage problems.